Résumé U3A minutes September 2018

Chair's Report:
JA reported:
Filing cabinet not really suitable, to be returned to SS's church. A new one is to be bought. Get Going Together - no one available for the follow up meeting. SS going to North Craven Community Action Group, plus maybe GC. Flowerpot Festival item to be on agenda in April 2019. Treasure Trail to be on the agenda at the next meeting and a sub-committee formed.

 

Group Co-ordinator's Report:
DB reported:
Groups: 36 at the moment. Wine Appreciation not starting until October. Dry Stone Walling will take place over 2 days in October. Members will have to sign a disclaimer. The Spanish Conversation group is having an initial meeting at the end of September.

 

Membership Secretary's Report: CC reported on membership figures.

 

YAHR: Group Coordinators Development Day 20 September - JA available to attend. Treasurers Workshop 19 October - JP and GC to attend.

 

WestNet
i) Next WestNet meeting, 08 October, Keighley - JA and SS to attend;
ii) Ceilidh at Ilkley - Friday, 02 November 2018;
iii) Quiz next March.

 

Victoria Hall: Monthly meeting dates booked to 2020. Our meeting bumped for 11 July 2019. St Johns now booked but a letter to be sent to the VH complaining about this and requesting the pay for St John's.

 

Newsletter
Bit sparse but several items were added. Hilary Baker is no longer able to arrange the collection and distribution of these. Alison Tyas is happy to take this on.

 

Arrangements for AGM - Thursday, 13 September 2018
Coffee from 10 am, renewal of membership, joining, signing up for groups at back of hall. Rolling presentation on screen of activities, as AGM starts this will provide Agenda and accounts, then YAHR presentation from SS after business concludes. Tables at front for committee. AGM starts 11 am followed by YAHR representative. Agenda on website, plus minutes of last meeting. No charge for this event or refreshments. People to be reminded that only members can vote.

 

Dementia Awareness KB showed a leaflet about the Bentham line, which is labelled Dementia Friendly. There is also a poster at Skipton station. Julie from Age UK delivers training at the Hub in Settle, or elsewhere. It was proposed that people would be asked via the October newsletter to show their interest in this. A date (November) would be booked for people to attend a one-hour training session during the day.

 

AOB
i) Webmaster. An ongoing search as the first person approached did not want to do it. And it was proving difficult to contact another;
ii) JP to borrow the computer to organise the presentations for the AGM, and also for a talk on 14 November;
iii) Ian Tennant had asked about publicising the library's Home Service at the U3A meeting. It was decided that leaflets could be put on the noticeboard and Ian could place on seats/tables if he wished.
iv) The committee's thanks were recorded to retiring members of the committee - KB, JH, and GR.


Résumé U3A minutes August 2018

Secretary's Report: Communications received: National U3A - AGM Elections, draft minutes and proxy vote information.

 

Chair's Report: JA reported on:
i) Age UK's promotion on Tuesday, 21 August at the Cricket Club. JA, AW, DB, KB and SS offered to help on the day;
ii) Grave Stones Research Project initiated by Sally Waterson and Sarah Lister from Family History Group at Holy Ascension Church, Settle. Now linked with York University. Will send information to YAHR and TAM.

 

Group Co-ordinator's Report: DB reported on New Groups: Dry Stone Walling (awaiting confirmation), Bird Watching and Wine Appreciation.
Membership Secretary's Report: KW reported that he had received 52 renewals, 12 joined since April, including two WestNet and one Associate. He said that members had to re-join groups every year. He also mentioned that the size of the Database on the Beacon System was increasing; that security was being improved, with additional overhead costs but that no increased charges had been mentioned. He had had no response to request regarding gifts by PayPal.

 

YAHR
i) Treasurers' Workshop planned for Friday, 19th October 2018 in Leeds;
ii) Development Day, Group Co-ordinators at Doncaster, Thursday, 20 September 2018;

 

WestNet
i) Next WestNet meeting, Monday, 08 October at Keighley;
ii) Ceilidh at Ilkley - Friday, 02 November 2018;
iii) JA suggested Settle hosted the Summer Treasure Hunt next year - Wednesday, 19 June 2019, in the evening at Victoria Hall, Settle. This was agreed.

 

Victoria Hall:
JA, JP, DB and KW had a meeting with Ann Harding and Jane (VH).
DB said the Painting Group had not yet found alternative accommodation. She emailed Group Leaders to request they booked at the Victoria Hall. Also, the Main Hall is not available on Wednesdays.
It was also agreed that Settle District U3A could have another locking filing cabinet next to the existing one outside Castleberg Room. Keys only available to committee members.

 

Settle U3A Webmaster
FW happy to fill in in short-term but a new Webmaster needed. Three names were mentioned and JP to follow up.

 

Newsletter
It was agreed that due to the exceptional circumstances of Paul Cochrane's long-standing involvement with Settle District U3A over many years that a notice be inserted in the Newsletter to announce his death to members. He was on the committee for six years and coordinated the groups for several years; he was leader of the Geology Group for 11 years and was our webmaster for the last few years.

 

Publicity
It was suggested that the new Groups Information Leaflet be placed in the Library, TIC, Surgery, Health Centre, and information sent to the Craven Herald.
AW had printed and distributed the posters for August meeting and the AGM in September.
Feedback from last month's meeting (Lowry) - old-fashioned presentation 5 /10 points given.

 

Arrangements for Open Meeting - Thursday, 11 August 2018
CC, GR, CT to help KW at Friends Meeting House with renewals paperwork
GC to help JP at Friends Meeting House taking cash fort renewals
AW to print notice asking members to renew their membership prior to joining groups
Refreshments (no charge) organised
DB Pens, posters and registrations sheets
AW to display Notification of AGM, Call for Nominations and Nominations Forms
Small tables and chairs set out in centre of Hall for refreshments
Large tables set out round the outer Hall for group leaders and registration

 

Arrangements for AGM - Thursday, 13 September 2018
i) In KW's absence:
CC to set up laptop
Screen needed for Agenda, Accounts and YAHR Presentation
KB reported that there was a launch meeting in May 2018 (LASUG) to raise awareness of dementia on trains amongst staff and passengers. Pilot scheme from Giggleswick to Bentham. In September 2018 the project will be taken south to Department for Transport.
Social Media. CC presented a report to committee on 'How to Use Facebook for Clubs', also use of Twitter. DB asked if Social Media was used by National U3A. It was agreed to consider the report and discuss further at October committee meeting.



Résumé U3A minutes July 2018

Secretary's Report: AW reported:

 

Communications received: National U3A -AGM Elections, information pack, Conference Workshops and booking information, supporting information, Draft Minutes from AGM 2017, Updated TAT Privacy Policy, Autumn Events flyer and U3A Impact Report.
Age UK have asked if U3A could be involved in a promotional day called 'Get Going Together,' which will be held at Settle Cricket Club on Tuesday, 21 August.

 

Group Co-ordinator's Report: DB reported:

 

i) She had received no response for help with LaOB or Lunch Group;
ii) She had looked at Timetable on website and lots needed changing;
iii) Bridge meets at Lion on Wednesday morning if it continues;
iv) Family History also meeting in Castleberg Room one Friday per month'
v) New Groups: Dry Stone Walling (awaiting confirmation), Bird Watching and Wine Appreciation.

 

Membership Secretary's Report: KW reported that since April: 11 new members and 31 renewals. He said that when members paid by PayPal they were unable to make a donation. Also, last year there were three hon. Members.

 

YAHR

 

i) Treasurers' Workshop planned for Friday, 19th October 2018 in Leeds;
ii) Development Day, Group Co-ordinators at Doncaster, Thursday, 20 September 2018;
iii) Summer School 2019, 05 - 09 August, Easingwold.

 

WestNet

 

i) Ilkley History Trail was good, and JA has offered Settle District U3A to organise a Settle Town Trail next June 2019;
ii) Next WestNet meeting, Monday, 16 July at Bradford Club at 1.30 pm;
iii) Ceilidh at Ilkley - Friday, 02 November 2018, U3A.

 

Victoria Hall: Debate took place over further correspondence between JA and Ann Harding regarding use and costings of VH.

 

Settle U3A Webmaster: KW updated committee on Paul C's health. Frank Woodhams happy to fill in in short-term but a new Webmaster needed long-term, following PCs resignation due to ill health. Request to members to be made in July Newsletter.

 

Publicity: AW to print notices for Open Meeting in August and distribute at Thursday's monthly meeting, 12 July.

 

AOB

 

i) AW showed Notices and Nomination Papers for AGM and will shortly distribute;
ii) JA said she had three names for prospective new committee members;
iii) JP suggested a name for a Webmaster;
iv) KM still looking for research projects;
v) JA mentioned Family History Group were involved in a local initiative with Holy Trinity Church;
vi) Dementia awareness - KM to make enquiries at Settle Hub;
vii) KB said the Giggleswick/Morecambe trains were now dementia friendly. KB to find out more information;
iv) SS said she had had difficulty filling the coach for AA trip and suggested combining group trips to ensure no financial loss was made. It was agreed to pay the loss for the AA trip.

 


Résumé U3A minutes - June 2018

Suggestion that Settle volunteer to host a WestNet History Trail next summer 2019 - agreed. JA to let WestNet know.
DB said all groups would be running next year plus Birdwatching/Nature. Also, Dry-stone Wallling (DB had an offer of dry stone walls to be used for this purpose).
Membership Secretary's Report: KW reported: 366 members this year including six associates, three honorary and four WestNet. There were 60 new members this year. Application forms and webforms have been redesigned and updated to show £15 for single and £29 joint membership and states 'donations gratefully accepted'. We would use the small donation gift aid scheme.
JH said she would be leaving the Committee at the end of this year but would be happy to continue with posters and tea rota.
Portable Sound System - DB said the system had been used on the Geology Field Trip and had been very successful. However, it was agreed not to purchase the system at present and revisit at a later stage.
Media - Settle Website, Vibrant Settle. CC to talk to committee at next meeting about media. CC to link with Paul C regarding our website.
Dementia awareness - JA asked committee to be more aware of dementia within U3A. To find a dementia active/awareness pack


Résumé U3A minutes - May 2018

Chair's Report: AW has sent a letter of thanks to Booths.
Membership Secretary's Report: KW will talk about the Members Portal on the webpage at the June Speaker meeting to remind people what to do. 8 people have joined since April = 363. Application forms and webforms have been redesigned. Joint membership has been set up. If paying by PayPal previously £15 was the amount offered for people to pay. This has now been amended to offer other, larger amounts to allow for donations. It was confirmed £18 to be the amount for new members to pay who join in April, which includes the following year's membership. Our GDPR policy document is now formerly adopted and, on our website, + Privacy Policy. When enrolling people at the August meeting have available a copy of these for people to read.
WestNet: £282 in the bank. Dragon Race event cancelled because it was expensive. Maybe a similar event at Coniston Cold in 2019. Some people were disappointed they couldn't enter the recent Quiz. But it was popular - 80 went. Treasure Trail + chilli supper in Ilkley 20th June 2018 - poster and info on the website.
YAHR - York AGM. Ques & Ans on GDPR very good. Also talk on Succession in U3A - planning, deputies, shadowing. Communication an important part of this. Some U3A have newsflashes for members. A Regional Trustee is to be invited to our AGM in September for a short talk. YAHR would like ideas for future workshops and role-based study days. There is to be a Study Day for Treasurers on 19 October.
Feedback from the publicity event at Booths was mainly positive. For the next one in June it was suggested that a poster for the July speaker meeting be available plus some info leaflets re the next year if possible. (DB). AW was to be asked to draw up a rota.
AOB - Invoice from the Rugby Club £100 to be paid for parking.
_________________________________________________________________________

 

Résumé U3A minutes - April 2018

Chair's Report: Jackie reported that: She would write an article, promoting Settle District U3A, to be included in June edition Community News. A Sheffield U3A was involved in some research with Bournemouth University about U3A group trips/tours. There was some discussion as to whether our U3A would be interested in contributing. Kath to enquire further with YAHR/
U3A.Group Co-ordinator's Report: Debi reported that:
The Weekender Group were having a trip to Hawes (using the Age Concern Mini bus) and hoped to visit the Lake District in May;
Jackie and she had attended a YAHR Creative Writers day course in York. Jean Stevens had offered to run this new group sessions on the fourth Monday of the month;
She was about to prepare the annual check of group leaders and courses and update of information;
With regard to Data Protection, she would set up document for group leaders' permission to have their details on the U3A website and Beacon system. The secretary to keep all paper trails.
Membership Secretary's Report: Keith reported that:
There were 355 members with four people waiting to join imminently;
He still had an issue with Beacon emails not being delivered to two members, but they could receive personal emails;
Following communications between John P and Coles Solicitors, joint membership was again discussed with regard to Gift Aid. John suggested, and the committee agreed, that we claim Gift Aid on last year's basis. The small donations gift aid scheme could be implemented but the donations via cheques and PayPal may not be acceptable, John P to again seek clarification from Coles.
John P proposed a flat fee of £15 per head annual subscription (donations welcome) and joint (married/partners living at same address) fee of £29.50. John Parry proposed, Jean Hall seconded, and this motion was carried unanimously.
Change to Settle District U3A Constitution: On advice from Coles Solicitors JP recommended that we leave our constitution as it is and not institute differential charging.
General Data Protection Regulation - Draft Policy: It was agreed that the Policy now met requirements and Keith W proposed that this Policy be accepted. Anne W proposed, Debi B seconded that this Settle District U3A General Data Protection Regulation Policy be accepted, and this motion was carried unanimously;
Mobile Notice Boards and Displays: Anne had collected the new notice boards from Graham. Sue had produced many photographs of group activities which Anne would laminate and set on boards. Keith W to let Anne have annual group meeting leaflets. Anne also reported that more volunteers were needed for Friday, 13 and Saturday, 14 April. Jackie would ask members at monthly meeting.
Victoria Hall: Room Bumping. Debi reported that staff at the Victoria Hall were not giving us enough notice of cancellation of rooms for group meetings. Discussion took place and John proposed that Jackie, Debi and he have a meeting with the Leader of the Trustees (Laurie Tebbett) to have an annual review and also to talk this matter through. Jackie to set up the meeting;
Chairs: Debi said that the Victoria Hall were looking at buying six chairs with arms at approx. £80 each. It was suggested that we either make a donation towards the chairs or buy two;
Loop System: It was reported that the Loop System was not working properly when the screen was down on the stage, despite the Victoria Hall saying that it was. This to be discussed at the proposed review meeting with the Victoria Hall Trustees.
Riviera Cruises: Sue reported that we don't need to register. If a member wants to book a Riviera Cruise and mention Settle District U3A then a donation is made to us. Sue to check further and put a flyer on the notice board.
AOB: It was felt that the trial group parking at the Rugby Club had been successful and Kath was asked to contact the Club for the arrangements to be extended and for Settle U3A to park there on an annual basis at a price of up to £100 per annum.



Résumé U3A minutes - March 2018

It was agreed to vote by proxy to approve the Articles of Association (Special Resolution) for the TAM EGM. In view of a busy schedule in June to defer the visit by Sue Stokes (YAHR Trustee) until the new session. With regard to Shared Learning Projects it was felt there was plenty of interesting SLP in the Settle area with research projects available (ie Ingleborough Archaeology, North Craven Heritage Trust and The Folly Museum). Kath reported on downloads on the National U3A website if members were interested.


Following notification from National U3A and in response John reported on communications received from Coles Solicitors and the committee agreed there was no need to amend the objects clause in our Constitution. Coles advice was pro bono so far.


The Victoria Hall Wi-Fi system was now hard-wired and worked very well.


Debi reported that she had set up the Creative Writers Group, the members of which would take it in turns to run the sessions on the fourth Monday of the month.


Keith reported that there were 356 members with 49 new members and that he had an issue with two members who were not receiving Beacon emails but could receive personal emails


Joint membership was discussed with regard to Gift Aid. It was agreed that John again contact Coles to question if there is any way we could alter our systems, so we can reclaim tax under the gift aid scheme where one taxpayer in a household also pays a non-taxpayers subscription. John to ask would it be reasonable for us to have a joint subscription even if we did not give any discount off double the minimum subscription? Or is there another solution to the problem?


General Data Protection Regulation – Draft Policy: Keith W said that the committee had to agree in writing to have their email details on the website. It was agreed that a single page with all names would be adequate. Debi to contact Group Leaders toinform them of the changes necessary. The paper documents would need to be in a secure storage place and John suggested we purchase another four-drawer filing cabinet, especially for this purpose, to be sited alongside the present cabinet.


Keith W to amend the draft Policy Document and to produce new members’ form with tick box ‘Please be aware of our Data Protection Policy’. It was also mentioned of the need to be aware of copyright issues with regard to music etc. Debi to send an email to Group Leaders to remind them.


Mobile Notice Boards - Graham reported that both Booths and the Co-op had confirmed the dates for the publicity events. Graham to co-ordinate the events. It was agreed that Graham purchase a 3 x 2 panel notice board in blue and grey with ‘SETTLE DISTRICT U3A’ printed above the centre panel.


The two sound systems that Sue had researched were discussed and it was agreed to ask Sue to find out the cost for hiring the second system for a period, to test.


Group Leaders Lunch – 09 April 2018 - Jackie to write and invite Group Leaders: Committee meeting to start at 10 am; Lunch from noon to 2 pm; Gill, Kath and Anne to make soups; Jean to make bread rolls; Debi to arrange cheese and biscuits.


Kath reported that she had spoken with the secretary of the Rugby Club and they were happy for the U3A to use the parking facilities provided they displayed a U3A sticker inside their car. They had suggested a free trial period. It was agreed that Kath contact the secretary and suggest a two-month trial from next Monday, 12 March until May. Group Leaders to be informed.


Résumé U3A minutes - February 2018

Creative Writing - Debi put a notice in the January Newsletter and on the website and several members had expressed interest. She had arranged a meeting and Limestone View. She also suggested that interested members could attend a Regional Study Day on Creative Writing, to be held on Thursday, 22 March 2018 in York, the cost to be paid for by Settle District U3A;


Mobile Notice Boards and Displays - It was agreed that Graham confirm with Booths the following dates - Friday, 13 April and Saturday 14 April 2018 to hold a display in the foyer. It was also agreed that Graham confirm with the Co-op Tuesday, 26 June 2018 for a display there. Sue to provide group photographs, Jean to provide printed posters, Anne to bring the Annual Group Information Leaflet and Keith W to have membership application forms.


Newsletter - it was agreed that Keith W puts links to the Newsletter and the Website in his monthly email letter to members.


National U3A A4 Posters - Anne had received these posters and Jean to distribute;


It was suggested that the committee purchase two ‘higher’ upright chairs with armrests for disabled members. Debi to speak with Ann Harding.


Following notification from National U3A and in response John spoke on “Notes on our non-charitable account, our constitution, gift aid, trips by groups and other matters” and his opinion on these issues. It was agreed that he close the social account and transfer the balance. Michael Cullingworth to organise theatre trips through the Rotary Club. It was agreed that he consult a solicitor (Coles, Town Hall, Settle) for confirmation on these matters;


Keith reported that there were 355 members, 48 new members, including 3WestNet, 6 Associate and three Honorary


Nita had written to Jackie suggesting an alternative to parking at the Cricket Club, due to the ongoing building works and lack of parking spaces. She suggested the Rugby Club and Kath offered to contact the club explaining our requirements and asking if we could park there.


Kath reported back on the Bletchley Park speaker. Apparently Giggleswick School has already organised someone from Cambridge for this year. Kath to continue to try to co-ordinate with Giggleswick School for 2019 and report back.


Résumé U3A minutes - January 2018

New members invitation to a New Members Tea on Thursday 22nd February at the Friends Meeting House from 2pm to 4pm, to hear about their experience of joining Settle District U3A and any ideas on how we could improve the way we welcome and encourage new members. The afternoon would start with an introduction and there will then be an opportunity to give their views and experiences.


Further to Debi’s talk on deaf awareness at the AGM, Jackie reported that a colleague from York U3A would be giving feedback to her on their meeting for deaf awareness and she would report back to committee. Jackie suggested ideas for our Newsletter and how it could perhaps be improved. For example, York U3A had a crossword and puzzle. Various suggestions were put forward by Jackie and Sue.


Debi reported that the Weekender Group enjoyed a good Christmas lunch and was happy to continue with monthly coffee morning meetings at Limestone View. John said he would continue to monitor the Bridge Group. Anne would pursue an accident claim form in respect of a member falling at the Victoria Hall.


Membership - 349 members, and 43 new members


Feedback from Christmas Social – Thursday, 14 December 2017 - some emails and positive comments had been received. It was agreed that the social was very good with a lovely atmosphere and the timings worked well. Jackie suggested that the social be tweaked next year to keep it fresh.


It was suggested that new groups could be set up, for example Creative Writing, History, Archaeology and Music Appreciation. A mention to be put in the newsletter to gauge interest. John suggested a concert/recital of recorders and he would have a word with Pam (leader of recorder group). A poster had been received from the Settle Hub with regard to mobile phone, tablet and computer help session at the Hub. Although this was received too late to take action.


Discussion took place regarding the use of notice boards “out and about” to advertise Settle District U3A. For example, at Booths and the Co-op. Graham agreed to look into costings and report back to committee.


Jackie reported that Craven U3A has a policy regarding Data Protection Register plus Data Protection Security Guidance Notes.


Résumé U3A minutes - December 2017

It was noted that:

Research Programmes:
Jackie had contacted Kate Helm, Bradford U3A, and they would work together with regard to links with Universities.


Reports:
Secretary’s Report:

Anne reported that she had received correspondence, as follows:
i) Bespoke Group Tours with Brightness Holidays;
ii) Volunteering opportunities with the North Yorkshire Rotters;
iii) WestNet September minutes.


Chair’s Report:
Jackie asked what the policy was in respect of death of members and it was agreed ‘no notices in the Newsletter, Monthly Meeting or condolence cards’


Jackie reported that Mick Riching - (Craven) WestNet. had received ‘scam’ email requesting money. It was agreed to put this on the agenda when Keith W returned.


Group Co-ordinator’s Report:
Debi reported that:
The Weekender Group were continuing to meet at Limestone View. Ruth Evans was arranging a Christmas


Lunch (to be held at Limestone View). Debi would monitor in the New Year.


John said the Bridge Group was continuing at present with a small membership.


Membership Secretary’s Report:
Anne reported in Keith’s absence:


That there were: 348 members, and 42 new members
Jean would take the new membership forms to the Thursday Meeting;


Jackie to report on YAHR:
Jackie and Sue reported on their attendance at YAHR Development Day - Sharing Best Practice on 24th November. They felt it had been a stimulating and informative day.


Feedback was given under the following headings:-
i) The Beacon system (Frank Bailey/Ripon);
ii) An Audio Tour Guide system (John Hancock/Ilkley & District);
iii) Managing Interest Groups - encouraging new groups and avoiding waiting lists in particular (Beverly Jaques/Haxby and Wiggington);
iv) Dementia Awareness - helping to support members and their carers (Jean Smith/Ilkley & District);
v) Using Surplus Funds - how to use funds within rules and for the benefit of all (Christine Hines/Harrogate);
vi) Working in Partnership with Age UK and jointly tackling loneliness and isolation - especially amongst older people (Alan Swann/Barnsley).
Discussion followed on how our U3A may usefully use some of the ideas put forward - and will continue to inform future planning, as appropriate.


Newsletter:
Chris suggested that one or two groups be highlighted each month in the Newsletter to raise awareness, interest and encourage members to join. It was agreed that this was an excellent idea and for Chris to organise.


Chris also said that Hilary B had checked numbers of Newsletters for collection at the Victoria Hall and it was suggested that these be dropped from 90 to 70.


It was also suggested that instead of Keith emailing all members with the website link for the latest Newsletter he attach the pdf Newsletter to the email (if possible and when he returns) to encourage members to read it.


Arrangements for the Christmas Social – Thursday, 14 December 2017
To be held at Victoria Hall
Free and to members only
Notice on outside door (Anne)
Refreshments organised (mince pies, shortbread biscuits, mulled wine, non-alcoholic wine, fruit juice, tea and coffee
Serviettes, table decorations, wine, glasses and trays organised
‘Meet and Greet’ – Kath and Keith B
Paul C to be curtain raiser
Victoria Hall to set up computer and audio
Café style seating
Jackie to organise Quiz
Anne to purchase Quiz prize
Groups to perform – Ukulele, Great Lives, Recorders, Exercise, Circle Dancing, Singing for Pleasure and Play reading had agreed to perform.


AOB:
New Members Meeting: arranged for Thursday, 22 February from 2.00pm to 4.00 pm at the Friends Meeting House;


Group Leaders Lunch: arranged for Monday, 09 April 2018 following the Committee Meeting, at Debi’s from noon to 2 pm. Note Committee Meeting to meet at 10 am;


Jackie has a connection (Andrew Grace) with York U3A regarding “Understanding Hearing Problems in Later Life” and will report back to committee.



Résumé U3A minutes - November 2017

It was noted that:

Constitution:
Anne reported that the Settle District U3A Constitution was last reviewed in 2013 and should be checked again in 2022;


Research Programmes:
Kath reported that Lancaster University had no suitable research programme we might be involved in but asked Jackie to let her know if other U3As had contact with Sheffield University. Jackie had not yet made any contact though Bradford University. Jackie had contacted Kate Helm, Bradford U3A, and they would work together with regard to links with Universities.


Sound System at Victoria Hall:
Keith W and Debi reported that they had had a meeting with Ann Harding and that there had been several issues but that the projector would be compatible with our computer and that the sound system was now working;


Data Protection Register May 2018:
Keith reported that our Data Protection Register would need revision and he had started this process which would be completed in February 2018;


Settle Quakers Community Meal – Thursday, 05 October:
Anne, John and Jean had attended and reported that it had been an enjoyable evening with a tasty meal. There were several groups, who used the Friends Meeting House there, and representatives described their activities.


Reports:
Secretary’s Report:

Anne reported that she had received correspondence, as follows:


YAHR:
Sharing Best Practice Workshop - Friday 24th November 2017 in York. Purpose: to share your issues and concerns and also to learn about other U3As who have examples of good ideas that work well for them. Anne would put details on Notice Board;


WESTNET: None received


Letter received from Gill O'Donnell (Church Secretary) St. John’s Methodist Church:
It was agreed that Jackie and Anne reply thanking the Church for their letter.


Chair’s Report:
Jackie reported that:
She had been asked to promote the Library Open Day and to draw to people’s attention to the Home Delivery Service. She would put a poster on the Notice Board;


She asked members of Settle District U3A to list their best opinions of Settle District U3A:
Good Newsletter Good Website
Good Communication Rural, Friendly and Small
Open to Change
Good at encouraging people to commit


She suggested inviting members of the U3A to attend a committee meeting to have a better understanding of what the committee undertook;


She had received an email from Ian Tennant to say that he would like his Art Group to exhibit at the Thursday Meeting on 12 April 2018.


Group Co-ordinator’s Report:
Debi reported that:
There were problems with the Weekender Group. There was to be a meeting on Saturday but no communication had been sent out. Nothing seemed to be happening;


She and John P were continuing to monitor the Victoria Hall bookings;


The Bridge Group was struggling with membership numbers.


Membership Secretary’s Report:
Keith reported that
There were: 345 members, and 39 new members
85% of membership had email addresses;


Jean would take the new membership forms to the Thursday Meeting;


He and Paul C were pursuing the website upgrade. This would be sent to Frank Woodhams, David Holgate and Chris C to test before going live.


Feedback from Monthly Meeting – Thursday, 12 October 2017:
It was agreed that this meeting, at St John’s Church, was very good. The speaker was exceptional and the venue excellent. The committee gave this 10/10. Jean said that 12 members had gone to the Victoria Hall in error.


Arrangements for this Monthly Meeting – Thursday, 09 November 2017
To be held at Victoria Hall
Speaker booked
Refreshments organised
‘Meet and Greet’ – Kath and Keith B
Keith to set up computer and audio
Small table at front of hall and another at side of stage.


Arrangements for Christmas Social – Thursday, 14 December 2017
Jackie reported that, so far, Singing for Pleasure, Ukulele Players, Recorders, Exercise Group, Line Dancing and Circle Dancing Group had agreed to perform. She had had no results for a Panto Sketch.


AOB:
Jill presented her list of speakers for 2018-2019. It was agreed that this was an excellent and varied list;


Kath said that she had been organising the Bletchley Park Enigma speaker. Because of the high fees for this speaker she was aiming to have two Settle schools to also have the speaker, thus reducing the fees.


Chris C mentioned Ex-Forces Support (document circulated with Agenda). It was agreed to put the poster on the Notice Board;


Keith W said that on the last Thursday walk someone had been taken ill, an ambulance called and been taken to the GP Surgery and then home. Discussion took place regarding an Accident Book or Log but it was agreed that on this occasion a report would suffice. Keith to send this report to Anne to file.



Résumé U3A minutes - October 2017


Reducing Number of Printed Copies of the Newsletter:
Chris T reported that Alison Tyas who, with great dedication, delivers Newsletters to members who had not attended the monthly meeting or did not collect their copy.


It was agreed that too many copies were printed and that we review this situation in January and that Jackie put this item in the next Newsletter. Secretary’s Report:


Anne reported that she had received correspondence, as follows –
YAHR:
Flyer for 2018 Programme Gilbert & Sullivan International Festival, Harrogate
Booking forms for G & S Festival
‘Newsletter Workshop’ reminder “Newsletter 12 October, Leeds
‘Sharing Best Practices & Ideas Workshop’ Friday 24 November at Bar Convent, York, YO24 1AQ
Outcomes of Regional Development Meeting: 13 September 2017.
WESTNET:
Flyer, further details and booking form for Ceilidh, Friday, 10 November 2017


Group Co-ordinator’s Report:
The Dance Exercise Group was off to a good start
The Weekenders Group held a successful inaugural meeting. The original leader was not able to carry on and the group would be run by the members. Debi would give support initially
There were several problems between the Victoria Hall and the U3A regarding room bookings. John and Debi to monitor this matter


Membership Secretary’s Report:
Keith reported that there were:
332 members
34 new member


Jackie to report on YAHR:
The Region had set up an on-line Newsletter called ‘Bulletin
'Barnsley U3A was looking at a possible associate membership for people of the 4th Age
Ian had asked and Jackie reported that the Link system as discussed by David Hewitt (Ilkley U3A). YAHR said this was in abeyance and would be discussed at their next management meeting
Ian had also asked and Jackie reported that the National Office has a bank of resources for all subjects
Have Your Say: at the meeting 17 U3As were tasked to identify their perception of priorities for their own U3A for the next 2/3 years. Anne to email members with information and this will be discussed at the next committee meeting
Anne to check whether our Constitution needed updating
There was a new Data Protection Register commencing May 2018
Kath to contact Lancaster University and Jackie to contact Bradford University to enquire what research programmes were taking place
YAHR do not have any current training for new Trustees - a training development day is to be arranged when new trainers are identified
Neil Stevens is working on a new-look YAHR Website - they are looking for new/rare interest groups. They want to populate the website with new and up-to-date-information
The YAHR are taking a new look at improving communication between region and NEC - Sue Stokes is Regional Trustee/Volunteer. There is a plan to rotate venues for Regional Development Days - eg Leeds/York/Doncaster
Asking if we are promoting MOOCs (Massive Open Online Courses) locally
The Region is wanting to promote profile of U3A's and use of social media. Also asking if we are involved in research programmes or have done one of our own
The Region is looking at succession training and encouraging local U3As to do the same, ie encouraging committee members to shadow members jobs. Feedback to YAHR will inform training needs in the area


Amend / Agree Job Descriptions
With a few amendments the Committee Members Job Descriptions were agreed.


Feedback from AGM – Thursday, 14 September 2017:
It was agreed that the AGM went very well.


Anne mentioned that ‘Apologies for Absence’ should not be accepted from the floor on behalf of absent members. They should be made prior to the AGM. This was approved.


Debi’s talk on Deaf Awareness was well received. Debi spoke about deaf awareness among the elderly and also how isolating memory loss can be. Both mild hearing loss and profound heading loss is a problem. She set out ten pointers to help those with hearing loss.


December: The Christmas Social was briefly discussed. Jackie to take action and this would be put on agenda at next meeting. Debi to contact all group leaders;


Jackie wanted to fulfil her promise to members at the AGM about promoting deaf awareness. This would be put on agenda at the next and subsequent meetings;


On behalf of the Committee Anne presented Debi with Garden Vouchers as a thank-you for the use of her table, chairs and coffee at meetings.